Search DBA Press
- Forbidden Knowledge: Stingray cellular surveillance, DoJ antipathy for the Fourth Amendment, and the consequences of police militarization
- Arizona’s prospective new top cop: when profit motives and the public interest collide
- DBA Press releases Anonymous/Lulzsec FBI records archive
- Arizona Governor Jan Brewer Private Prison Archive
- DHS I&A DSAC records illuminate aspects of federal public-private intelligence partnership: Wikileaks, Anonymous, Booz Allen Hamilton, career CIA officers at DHS domestic intelligence office
- Inside the OpenMIND: open source social media data mining and predictive policing
- New Records Detailing FBI, Fusion Center Monitoring of Activists, Anarchists
- Dissent or Terror: How the Nation’s Counter Terrorism Apparatus, in Partnership with Corporate America, Turned on Occupy Wall Street
- “Operation Tripwire:” the FBI, the Private Sector and the Monitoring of Occupy Wall Street
- National Security Agency telecom surveillance archive: Jewel v. NSA, et al.
- Buying Influence: how the American Legislative Exchange Council uses corporate-funded “scholarships” to send lawmakers on trips with corporate lobbyists
- America Eats its Young: Arizona communities embrace use of private prison employees in drug raids at public schools
- AFSC investigation: Arizona Department of Corrections, Legislature, knew private prisons bad deal for state– eliminated oversight anyway
- Investigative report: “Quid pro Status Quo: ALEC and State-Sanctioned Corruption in Ohio
- This is what censorship sounds like
- DBA Press releases ALEC centralized source materials directory
- ALEC Accountability Act set for introduction in Arizona
- Inside ALEC: naked contempt for the press and public in Scottsdale
- Investigative Report: “Publicopoly: ALEC and the bid to make private all that is public”
- FBI issues subpoenas linked to Florida Geo Group investigation
Tag Archives: Civigenics
Over the first quarter of this year, lawmakers have largely turned to privatization as a solution for states in fiscal crisis. As such, DBA Press feels this may be an appropriate time to revisit the case of Hardin, Montana– the … Continue reading →
Newly minted U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) was sworn in on January 5 with unfinished business back home.
Rubio, as former speaker of the Florida House of Representatives (R-Miami, 2006-2008)—as well as other state GOP lawmakers and party contributors– are currently the likely subjects of multiple wide-ranging state and federal investigations conducted by the FBI and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) into improper use of credit cards issued by the Republican Party of Florida, as well as tax evasion and improper budgetary appropriations.
One such set of appropriations/legislative actions reportedly being investigated by federal authorities are those which led to the development of the state’s largest private prison, the Blackwater River Correctional Facility (CF), which opened its gates for operation in November. The prison was designed and is operated by Florida-based Geo Group, the nation’s second largest private prison operator.
This story tracks the activities of both Geo Group and Rubio economic consultant Donna Arduin through private prison development in Florida under Governor Charlie Crist and in California under Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger– as well as some strange appearances with some strange bedfellows. Continue reading →
(James) Parkey and/or one of his pitchmen approach an economically-depressed and isolated community– preferably within 100 miles of a federal courthouse– and convince local government leaders through a period of wooing, wining, dining and otherwise bedazzling—sometimes bribing– that a private prison, jail, or immigrant detention center is just the thing to cause long-dormant clouds of cash to burst open and rain prosperity down on their blighted town. Continue reading →