Search DBA Press
- Forbidden Knowledge: Stingray cellular surveillance, DoJ antipathy for the Fourth Amendment, and the consequences of police militarization
- Arizona’s prospective new top cop: when profit motives and the public interest collide
- DBA Press releases Anonymous/Lulzsec FBI records archive
- Arizona Governor Jan Brewer Private Prison Archive
- DHS I&A DSAC records illuminate aspects of federal public-private intelligence partnership: Wikileaks, Anonymous, Booz Allen Hamilton, career CIA officers at DHS domestic intelligence office
- Inside the OpenMIND: open source social media data mining and predictive policing
- New Records Detailing FBI, Fusion Center Monitoring of Activists, Anarchists
- Dissent or Terror: How the Nation’s Counter Terrorism Apparatus, in Partnership with Corporate America, Turned on Occupy Wall Street
- “Operation Tripwire:” the FBI, the Private Sector and the Monitoring of Occupy Wall Street
- National Security Agency telecom surveillance archive: Jewel v. NSA, et al.
- Buying Influence: how the American Legislative Exchange Council uses corporate-funded “scholarships” to send lawmakers on trips with corporate lobbyists
- America Eats its Young: Arizona communities embrace use of private prison employees in drug raids at public schools
- AFSC investigation: Arizona Department of Corrections, Legislature, knew private prisons bad deal for state– eliminated oversight anyway
- Investigative report: “Quid pro Status Quo: ALEC and State-Sanctioned Corruption in Ohio
- This is what censorship sounds like
- DBA Press releases ALEC centralized source materials directory
- ALEC Accountability Act set for introduction in Arizona
- Inside ALEC: naked contempt for the press and public in Scottsdale
- Investigative Report: “Publicopoly: ALEC and the bid to make private all that is public”
- FBI issues subpoenas linked to Florida Geo Group investigation
Tag Archives: Geo Group
December 1, 2013 DBA Press releases records obtained from the office of Arizona Governor Jan Brewer pertaining to private prison operators, private prison lobbyists. Jump to archive. Key pieces of information contained in this records set include: – ADC Director … Continue reading →
AFSC investigation: Arizona Department of Corrections, Legislature, knew private prisons bad deal for state– eliminated oversight anyway
July 24, 2012 By Caroline Isaacs, program director, American Friends Service Committee Tucson Documents recently obtained by the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) show that the state of Arizona deliberately circumvented and ultimately repealed a state law requiring private for-profit … Continue reading →
FBI issues subpoenas linked to Florida Geo Group investigation By Beau Hodai DBA Press has obtained and archived all subpoenas issued by federal investigators pursuant to this investigation in both the Florida Legislature and with TEAM Santa Rosa. We have … Continue reading →
Private Corrections Working Group Field Organizer Frank Smith discussed issues surrounding the for-profit prison industry with Premier Radio Networks’ Randi Rhodes, May 19, 2011. Frank Smith on Randi Rhodes Smith, who has been fighting private prison development nationwide for the … Continue reading →
On December 21, 2010, just days before recessing for the holidays, the U.S. Senate confirmed Stacia Hylton as director of the U.S. Marshals Service in spite of opposition by a coalition of human rights, citizens’ advocacy and criminal justice-related organizations that argued she had a conflict of interest based on her close connections with private prison firms.
Hylton, a former Acting Deputy Director of the U.S. Marshals with a lengthy career in law enforcement, was employed from June 2004 to February 2010 as the Federal Detention Trustee. Following her retirement she was nominated by President Obama to head the Marshals Service, which handles security for federal courthouses, apprehends federal fugitives and oversees the detention of federal prisoners awaiting trial or immigration proceedings.
On October 25, 2010, after retiring as Federal Detention Trustee, Hylton quickly accepted a consulting job with GEO Group through her Virginia-based company, Hylton Kirk & Associates LLC, of which she is the president and sole owner. In her financial disclosure statements, Hylton reported income of $112,500 for “consulting services for detention matters, federal relations, and acquisitions and mergers.” GEO Group was the only company listed in her disclosure statements in connection with such consulting services. Continue reading →
Newly minted U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) was sworn in on January 5 with unfinished business back home.
Rubio, as former speaker of the Florida House of Representatives (R-Miami, 2006-2008)—as well as other state GOP lawmakers and party contributors– are currently the likely subjects of multiple wide-ranging state and federal investigations conducted by the FBI and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) into improper use of credit cards issued by the Republican Party of Florida, as well as tax evasion and improper budgetary appropriations.
One such set of appropriations/legislative actions reportedly being investigated by federal authorities are those which led to the development of the state’s largest private prison, the Blackwater River Correctional Facility (CF), which opened its gates for operation in November. The prison was designed and is operated by Florida-based Geo Group, the nation’s second largest private prison operator.
This story tracks the activities of both Geo Group and Rubio economic consultant Donna Arduin through private prison development in Florida under Governor Charlie Crist and in California under Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger– as well as some strange appearances with some strange bedfellows. Continue reading →